Re: Monitor the sql and binding data

From: Randall Roberts <randall_at_filer.org.nospam>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 15:02:49 -0700

You create bind variables in SQL*Plus like so:

VARIABLE g_dname VARCHAR2(15)

The only ways I know to populate a SQL*Plus bind variable are to write a PL/SQL block:

BEGIN :g_dname := 'ACCOUNTING'; END; -- Initialize a bind variable for use in WHERE clause

Or to SELECT INTO it like so:

SELECT dname
INTO :g_dname
FROM scott.dept
WHERE deptno = 10;

You view the contents of a bind variable in SQL*Plus with

PRINT g_dname

If you want to see what SQL statements have been executed against the server using the variable you would

SELECT sql_text
FROM V$sqlarea
WHERE sql_text LIKE '%:g_dname%';

These are SQL*Plus examples. Things work differently in other environments. HTH. Best!

Randall