Re: opinions on oracle or IBM training....

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 10:34:49 GMT

On Wed, 23 May 2001 02:52:36 GMT, "pheonix1t" <pheonix1t_at_netscape.net> wrote:

>hello people,
>I'm about to start embarking on training for dba. At first I was going to

Jim gave you a good rundown on the diffs between all those numbers and letters.

>From recent news, IBM seems to go more with the cross-platform/work with
>partner approach that seems to be a better business strategy from what
>several news sources have said compared to oracle which is a more closed
>approach. Is this true??

No it isn't. But if you base your future education and career on reading "recent news", let me offer a word of advice: change to another line of business.

>What about doing both?? Are they really that different?? Is it like saying
>MS compared to a unix/linux machine??

Now, that's a good, sensible decision. They aren't really that different, despite the "recent news" crap. In fact, they're very similar. So is any database that uses SQL as its main language. The differences are more in details of installation and tuning than the engines themselves.

>Sorry for all the questions..........but I really want to know !

Nothing wrong with such a healthy attitude! :-)

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Wed May 23 2001 - 05:34:49 CDT