Re: Oracle Backup for Large Databases (800,000,000 rows) in one table

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 22:19:15 +0800

Marwan Samara wrote:

> Thanks. I need to correct my own statement. The table currently has
> 200 million rows, and soon will be loaded with the rest of data.
> It is expected to reach 1 Billion rows.
>
> Thanks,
> Marwan Samara.

Being able to reasonably "partition" your database (not the official sense of the word) so that you can back up multiple sections of it in parallel is vital to a small backup window.

As is being able to identify and isolate bits that can be put into a readonly tablespaces so they don't have to be backed up more than once

hth
connor

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"