Re: How much instances per server?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 02:57:27 GMT

Proper init.ora parameters and configuration you can eliminate rollback contention. Done it on sites with 3,000 users not very difficult.

You are going to have something similar to redo contention with multiple instances since you have to put the redo somewhere. The disk IO will be flooded no matter which scheme you use. Of course, if you put enough disks together in either case you can reduce contention.

Not sure what independent backup and restore has to do with anything. If the instances or schemas are seperate then I don't see how that is applicable. Certainly if you want another instance as a backup I see no problem with that. Multiple instances is not a bad thing unless you do too much of it.

Actually, you can have priviledges apply on a per schema mode. Sure someone is "root" somewhere, but that is true in multpile instances you just have a "root" for each instance. The users and privledges should not be given dba privledges anyway.

Not sure what you mean by commercial packages using prescriptive schemas.

Having done a lot of performance testing in the NT environment and HPUX having a lot of instances (in NT over 5) and a busy system you are better off with schemas than instances in the majority of cases. Jim