Re: Oracle Backup for Large Databases (800,000,000 rows) in one table

From: Kevin Brand <kevin.brandx_at_tel.gte.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:29:08 -0500

I use a set of two Sony AIT ( second generation ) tape drives that write data at aroud 7MB/second native. With compression, they are quite a bit faster. Using both drives in parallel for a single tablespace, my throughput approaches 20-30MB/second, which will knock out a large tablespace quickly. These drives use a 25GB tape. Restore times are slightly slower.

Sony has larger/faster media available these days, as does a number of other manufactures.

Good Luck.

-Kevin