Re: log file format

From: John <j_barbe_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 May 2001 05:26:51 -0700

> Your descriptions of Log Miner's limitations are pretty accurate so far!
> From the Backup and Recovery course guide: "SQL on chained data rows is not
> reconstructed" (as you point out). There's nothing about partitions being a
> particular problem, though -but then you do say it's "hard", not impossible!
>
> I just honestly don't know what you expect to be able to achieve by poking
> around in the logs "on your own" that Log Miner can't do. Or, to put it the
> other way, that which Log Miner can't do probably can't be done, unless you
> are willing to pay big bucks (I know that there are third party tools out
> there which do the same sort of things as Log Miner, but last time I vaguely
> checked, we were talking maybe 5-digit numbers for costs).
>
> Any particular problem you are trying to deal with, or is this just the
> spirit of adventure and technical curiosity?
>
> Regards
> HJR

OK my problem is that I'm not trying to use logminer in order to undo SQL queries but to be aware of modifications above particular tables or rows of tables.
So in order to identify these rows I need to build something like a ROWID dictionnary.
The problem with partitionned tables is that queries can imply rowid modification and it's very hard to notice.

So I was asked to look in the log files in order to determien if it's possible to use them directly instead of using logminer.

I've never found third party tools.
Are they more efficient?
If so , it means that there may be more to find in the log files.

Do you know if Oracle agrees giving or sending their log file format? Received on Tue May 22 2001 - 07:26:51 CDT