Re: BLOBS in the database

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 23:33:43 +1000

Hi George...

Well clearly, it's not Oracle's fault. Some might say it's mine for daring to use Access as a front end (blame it on years of VB developing)!

But using Ammara's product, it becomes awfully apparent that Oracle has been meekly storing whatever the front-end throws at it, big or small. The issue is stopping the front-end from deciding to decompress JPEGs before passing it backwards, which seems a particularly stupid thing to do. (And remember, this also happened with a SQL Server backend, so it's not even the ODBC driver's fault).

My only question now is why, if Ammara knows how not to be stupid, do the standard (free!) front-end tools not do likewise?! Clearly, it can't be rocket science. Would love to hear from a Forms developer as to whether Oracle is any less dumb.

Have you tried the Ammara thingy, George? I think you'll be as impressed as I was if you do (or maybe I'm just playing catch up).

Regards
HJR

--
The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle