Re: BLOBS in the database

From: Exponent <exponent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 May 2001 04:08:41 -0700

The problem that you're experiencing is due to Access creating an uncompressed 'Preview' version of the image that can commonly be 10 times the size of the original jpeg. All this is then wrapped in OLE Headers, which can introduce other problems such as extracting the image from this undocumented format, viewing images on systems that don't have the correct OLE Server applications registered etc.

We offer a bound image control that overcomes these problems and adds a number of useful features for handling images in databases (either stored in tables or as external files). You can have the control resample the images as you load them to create multiple purposed images, such as main, thumbnail, print and archive, all at different resolutions and compressions. You can also obtain the image dimensions for web-publishing type applications. You can integrate directly with digital cameras and scanners, and you won't suffer from the OLE 'bloat' - the images will occupy exactly the same amount of space as they would as files.

If this is of interest you can download the control, samples and documentation from www.ammara.com