Re: Database that spans over multiple computers

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 22:04:43 -0700

Dino Hsu wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> In a help page about Databse Identification by Service Name, it
> explains the reason why service name is used instead of SID (Oracle
> System Identifier) is that the former doesn't distinguish services
> from instances (an SGA, thus instance, was also identified by an SID).
> This implies that a database can provide multiple (different kinds
> of?) services to the clients within the same instance. Can anyone give
> a real example about this?
>
> It continues with this:
> "In Oracle 8i, a new naming schema has been implemented. Because a
> database can span multiple computers, both the service as a whole and
> each of its instances are specified."
> Why can a database span multiple computers, this really beats me.
>
> Any comments? Thanks in advance.
>
> Dino

Take a close look at the following CREATE DATABASE command. It includes the following parameter.

CREATE DATABASE orabase
CONTROLFILE REUSE
LOGFILE GROUP 1 ('/oramnt/u02/oradata/boris/oralogG1A.ora',

                  '/oramnt/u02/oradata/boris/oralogG1B.ora') size 3M
reuse,
         GROUP 2 ('/oramnt/u07/oradata/boris/oralogG2A.ora',
                  '/oramnt/u07/oradata/boris/oralogG2B.ora') size 3M reuse

DATAFILE '/oramnt/u02/oradata/boris/system01.dbf'

   SIZE 125M
   AUTOEXTEND on
   NEXT 25M
   MAXSIZE 250M
  MAXDATAFILES 100
  MAXINSTANCES 2
  NOARCHIVELOG
  CHARACTER SET UTF8; Notice MAXINSTANCES?

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Tue May 22 2001 - 00:04:43 CDT