Re: New to Oracle

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 18:54:29 +0200

"Raymond Pun" <raymondpun_at_hongkong.com> wrote in message news:9edtl9$ci1$1_at_www.csis.hku.hk...
> Hi,
>
> I am new to oracle. I downloaded the 8.1.7.0.0 personal version and
> installed using "Typical" install.
> After installation, what should I do? How to I manage the database? Is
 there
> anything I can do in order to manage the database easily?
> Besides, I can't find the password for INTERNAL where can I find it?
>
> Since I am new, what kind of document should I read first? and then next?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> regards,
> Raymond

You should read manuals and manuals and manuals (before asking these boring questions)

From the installation manual
Pre-Installation Tasks
Before installing Oracle8i Personal Edition, perform the following pre-installation tasks to ensure a successful installation:

If applicable, install and test your network hardware and software. Read the hard copy Release Notes, which may update this installation guide. Insert the Oracle8i Personal Edition CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive. The Autorun page automatically appears.
If the Autorun page does not appear:
Choose Start > Programs> Windows Explorer. The Windows Explorer starts. Click the CD-ROM icon.
Click the \autorun folder icon.
Click autorun.exe.
Click Browse Documentation.
Click Documentation to view the Oracle Documentation Library for all the Oracle8i Personal Edition products. These documents are in HTML format. If you want to view the documentation in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF), go to the PDFDOC folder at the root of your Oracle8i Personal Edition CD-ROM and double-click WELCOME.PDF.
For general information about the Oracle database on Windows 98 product, see Oracle8i Personal Edition Getting Started for Windows 98. Read the appropriate sections or chapters based on the type of installation you want to perform:

 For more information about Read...
Installing all types (Typical, Minimal, Custom) on a computer containing no previous Oracle database
 Chapter 1, "Getting Started with Your Documentation," Chapter 2, "Introducing Oracle8i Personal Edition," Chapter 6, "Post-Installation Configuration Tasks" of Oracle8i Personal Edition Getting Started for Windows 98, and this installation booklet

Upgrading Oracle8i Personal Edition from a previous release of Oracle8 Personal Edition
 Chapter 4, "Multiple Oracle Homes and Optimal Flexible Architecture," Chapter 5, "Installing, Migrating and Upgrading" of Oracle8i Personal Edition Getting Started for Windows 98, and this installation booklet

Migrating to Oracle8i Personal Edition from a previous version of Oracle7 Server
 Chapter 4, "Multiple Oracle Homes and Optimal Flexible Architecture," Chapter 5, "Installing, Migrating and Upgrading" of Oracle8i Personal Edition Getting Started for Windows 98, and this installation booklet

And of course, you should read the Oracle Concepts manual.

BTW If properly installed, internal doesn't have a password. If it definitely does have a password, the default is oracle

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Tue May 22 2001 - 11:54:29 CDT