SIGPIPE in combination with Pro*C

From: Jeroen <jeroenthuis_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 17:42:33 +0200

Question,

I am (still) developing a Pro*C program (C++) that gets records from a database and updates records in a database. The program runs on DEC Unix v4.0d. It works the following way: The main thread puts its requests in a class (singleton) and wakes up the database thread (by setting a condition variable) . The mainthread goes to sleep (waiting for a condiction variable) OR waits for a specified time. The database thread wakes up, performs database access, makes the mainthread run (by setting the condition variable). And goes to sleep again. This is done this way because i do not want want the application to hang in case something goes wrong during db access. So for this all works fine.

In case the connection fails, this mechanism only works once. Using the GDB
(Gnu debugger) i see that somewhere in the Oracle library a write() function
(probally write on a socket) raises a SIGPIPE. After that it seems that the
whole application is hanging. I tried to ignore this signal but it doesnt help. Can somebody please help me out ?

thanks in advance Jeroen Received on Mon May 21 2001 - 10:42:33 CDT