Re: Oracle Backup for Large Databases (800,000,000 rows) in one table

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:04:48 +0200

"Marwan Samara" <samara.marwan_at_epa.gov> wrote in message news:12992fb9.0105210950.309a4a66_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi All,
> I'm new to the list and to ORACLE DBA (came from Mainframe). I've been
> asked/tasked to come up with a procedure to backup and restore one of our
> databases in the fastest waypossible !.
> The largest table is partitioned by year, and contains
> about 800,000,000 rows with average length of 100 bytes.
> Now, a hot backup is taking about 7 hours, and never tried the restore.
> Please, any Ideas, or references are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marwan Samara.

Buy: Rama Velpuri Backup and Recovery Handbook, Osborne Press A faster backup device.
I guess you don't have any backup right now? How about robustness and reliability instead of speed. One day your boss will regret he didn't backup that database.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon May 21 2001 - 17:04:48 CDT