Re: Remote login password file question

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 08:28:12 +1000

"Chow, Tommy [BRAM:1258:EXCH]" <tchow_at_americasm01.nt.com> wrote in message news:9ebuc8$eqj$1_at_bcarh8ab.ca.nortel.com...
> Hi,
>
> The REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE parameter in the initsid.ora file could have
> three values:
> 1. NONE
> 2. SHARED
> 3. EXCLUSIVE
>
> I do not quite understand why when it is SHARED then it means used
> exclusively by SYS and INTERNAL.
>
> The meaning of 2 and 3 seems reversed. Am I getting the wrong aspect of
 the
> meaning?

Yeah. You're thinking 'the fewer users, the more exclusive the password file is'...perfectly understandable, but from the wrong perspective. Think of it instead from the Instance's point of view. Is the password file that unlocks Instance 1 exclusively for the use of that Instance? Or can the same file do double duty unlocking Instance 2 (and 3 and 4 and so on). If a password file is for the EXCLUSIVE use of an Instance, then ordinary people's details (taken from the Data Dictionary for that Instance) can be added into it, no problems (grant sysdba to Fred). If the password file does duty for multiple Instances, then it's SHARED amongst them, and it wouldn't make a great deal of sense to allow entries from any one particular Instance to be added to it, so only SYS and INTERNAL can be contained within it.

Regards
HJR