Re: what all physical space allocated to my DB's

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 08:33:10 +1000

"Sunil Dua" <sdua_at_solutionsny.com> wrote in message news:bc03ebd5.0105211350.4623a2de_at_posting.google.com...
> Thanks for the reply... I appreciate the information provided was
> really helpful.. now I could work out what all space my database files
> are taking..my second query was how do i make sure if the space
> allocated is sufficient or do I need to take any preventive steps to
> avoid DB breakdown.

Er.... so, how much free space have you got then? 2K, 2Mb, 200Mb, 2Gb, 200Tb???? And are you inserting 1 row a day, or 1 million????It's a bit difficult to advise given the paucity of information you provide.

If you are not entirely sure what you are doing, investigate the 'autoextend' option for your data files. That will allow all data files to grow in size whenever needed. Of course, performance on the database suffers as the autoextension takes place, but at least your database won't keel over entirely. You can allow autoextensible files to take over the whole hard disk, or you can artificially restrict them with a 'maxsize' clause.

Naturally, good DBA technique rather suggests that you proactively monitor your file growth, and respond appropriately, and autoextend is thus not a technique I'd normally recommend. But as quick fixes go, it will do the job.

Regards
HJR