Re: Realm, what's this?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 07:56:30 +1000

"Stefano Tempesta" <s.tempesta_at_usa.net> wrote in message news:9ebbk8$qmk$1_at_fe1.cs.interbusiness.it...
> >connect as sysdba in sqlplus
> >sqlplus > startup
> >your realm will soon exist.
>

> How can I connect if the database is not available!!!

You don't connect to the database. You don't even connect to the Instance (and the two are different).

The connect string actually connects you to a Listener, which on hearing the request for a connection to the Instance, will spawn you a Server Process, to which your User Process can then connect. It's the Server Process which does the talking to the Instance and the Database

Regards
HJR