Oracle9i: A Beginner's Guide

From: Michael S. Abbey <abbey_at_pythian.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 23:05:17 GMT

Mike Corey, Ian Abramson, and I are working madly away on Oracle9i: A Beginner's Guide. One of the chapters deals with the services--inside and outside Oracle Coproration. This newsgroup is one place we are telling people they can go to hone their Oracle skills.

Here's the deal ... I'm posting a few beginner type questions and the first "good" answer to each will be included as a screen shot in the book with your name and company affiliation if you want.

Question 1:

What do the letters S Q L stand for when used as an aconym to describe Oracle's query interface?

Question 2:

What is the difference between SHUTDOWN ABORT and SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE?

Question 3:

When in SQL*Plus, wanting to suppress the numbe rof rows returned from a SELECT statement, which SET command is used and how is the command used?

Michael S. Abbey Received on Sun May 20 2001 - 18:05:17 CDT