Re: Good News for MS Windows users: Your favorite database is here..

From: Larry <lsedels_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 18:10:51 -0400

Nuno,

I strongly and respectfully disagree with you that "2 is too many". This is fact goes to the core of IBM's strategy. Answer me a question ... why does the "competition" have no presence on the AS/400 platform and very little presence on the 390 platform? Could it be that in order to be successful on any given platform, the database must be architected and optimized for that platform? Do you know much about AS/400s and S/390s? Do you realize how different they are from an underlying platform perspective, from an OS perspective, from a physical/operational perspective? Do you really think that the exact same code can provide exploitation of say ... parallel sysplex and also be truly optimized to exploit NT Threads and Solaris Semaphores?

Do you go into your Toyota dealer and scream with disapproval when you find out that the Corolla isn't made with the same engine or steering mechanism as the Avalon? Do you refuse to fly with American Airlines when you find out that their Fokker 100 planes use different engines than their 757s? Or is it possible ... that in each of these cases (including IBM), the manufacturer chose the best possible solution and that is why it is successful!

>>"At IBM apparently anything that reads "database" gets labelled DB2...".

Hardly ... have you forgotten IMS ... still successful and growing, by the way? Or VSAM?

>>"RTFM for Oracle. It's the same code, DML and DDL all over the place. Always has been,
always will be. And no amount of "semantics" from IBM is gonna change that."

What about OPS? Have the parallel DML limitations when using OPS been addressed? Is OPS the same codebase as regular Oracle? Funny ... they have been mentioned at Oracle user groups and from what I remember, they were documented in the Oracle pubs. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I would prefer to be up to date with the latest information.

With all due respect ... you need to do your homework before you start taking stabs and making claims like this.

Larry