Re: Temporary segments question

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 23:09:19 +1000

Yes, it's called dba_tablespaces and you're looking for something called a temporary tablespace.

You, as a DBA, do not have anything to do with temporary segments, apart from allocating a sufficiency of space for them. By creating a temporary tablespace, you do that. It should be, as nigh as dammit, 99%+ full at all times.

Temporary segments are simply what happens when a sort can't take place fully in memory, and the PGA gets swapped to disk. It's the tablespace that does it.

HJR

--
The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle