Re: odbc connection with SQL Server 7.0

From: Justin Cave <jocave_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 May 2001 08:25:28 -0700

"KG" <karel.geraerts_at_vt4.net> wrote in message news:<3b057a3e$0$9722$73bec57d_at_news.be.uu.net>...
> Hello,
>
> I would like to set an odbc connection between Oracle and SQLServer 7.0.
> I would like to add records in SQLServer 7.0 using queries in Oracle !
>
> Is this possible, has someone experience with this ?

This is possible. You'll need to grab the Oracle Transparent Gateway for SQL*Server and set that up. Not sure that whether the Oracle-SQL*Server connection is actually via ODBC or not, I suspect that it actually uses a lower-level SQLServer native API or not. If you actually care that the Oracle-SQLServer connection is made via ODBC, you can grab the Oracle Transparent Gateway for ODBC, though I expect performance to be better with the SQL*Server specific version.

With the Oracle Transparent Gateways, you can make database links to non-Oracle databases transparently. There's plenty of documentation available at the OTN (Oracle Technology Network) site <http://otn.oracle.com>.

Justin Cave Received on Sat May 19 2001 - 10:25:28 CDT