Re: Co-operative FAQ

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 08:13:32 +0100

The response to the idea of a co-operaitve FAQ has been a lot more active this time around. Even to the extent of someone asking if they would be allowed to translate it into Russian .

A couple of interesting points arising for discussion though - most significantly, how do you make it easy to find the question you are asking ? and how (as usenet users) do we encourage those who ask the questions to go to the FAQ.

I should also point out that I will not be authoring (much) of the FAQ, I am only offering to be a focal point for getting the FAQ built: this means collating questions, and adding answers to the site.

Thoughts:

Personally, I tend to use the 'Edit Find' function on my browser to track down key words in a document, so I could see the front-page of the FAQ as nothing more than a single page of one-line questions.

The questions could be grouped in categories to make it easier for users to spot related issues - but I think it would be a good idea to avoid splitting this index page into several topic-related pages. Obviously users could download the page for faster reference.

Answer pages should contain several section (a very simple form, perhaps so that all pages look the same): with:

    Author's Name (and optionally email address)     Date of posting:
    Relevant versions of Oracle used
    Exact copy of question
    Expansion of the question (e.g. typical scenario)     Answer

I think it would also be useful to have a couple of sections for writers to add pointers to further reading, and readers to be able to 'add' follow-up questions.

No answer page will ever be deemed to be complete and final - anyone is free to provide new, improved answers, though perhaps this should be done in conjunction with the original author, and joint acknowledgement made.

Topics (at least initially) Server engine and PL/SQL.

Rather than use my current demon account, which seems to vary in speed, I could open another account on another ISP for this site. Any suggestions for a site that offers a reasonable amount of free space FOC and also has a consistent response time and good uptime ?

Possible methods: (don't start yet)

If you think you have a list of FAQs that should be on the list, mail them to me under the subject heading

    FAQ Questions
Give them a category, and type them exactly as you would expect to see them on the FAQ. I will add questions to the FAQ list approximately once per week.

If you want to publish an answer for a question, send me a short email under the subject heading:

    FAQ proposal
I will let you know if someone else is already working on an answer - otherwise I will put your name as a 'work in progress' on the list of FAQ questions.

When you have an answer ready, (the site will hold a blank form to copy) - email it to me under the subject heading

    FAQ answer.
and I will post it (again about once per week). If you do not want the FAQ page copied/ translated etc, please include a comment to that effect on the answer (perhaps there should be a copy/no copy entry on the standard form).

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html

<990124151.20434.1.nnrp-13.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>...