Re: Oracle8i with large no (thousands) of OLTP users

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 18 May 2001 13:59:03 +0100 (BST)

Haitham Nouri <haitham_at_iname.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>We're planning on running a typical OLTP client server application on
>oracle8i (8.1.6) with about 3000 to 4000 users, with two connections each.
>(Yes, a badly designed application, but we've got to deploy it and live with
>it).
>So the expected number of NET8 connections is 6 to 8 thousand. (We can't use
>parallel server).
>Does anyone out there have a similar configuration? What are your sizings,
>experiences and advice?
>Should MTS be used?

My experience of running benchmarks with MTS on large systems suggests that the best plan for handling a large number of connexions is a middle tier that can correctly handle caching and offers connexion pooling.

If your application vendor doesn't supply one, then you should investigate a bespoke customisation. It may well more than pay for itself in hardware and long term maintenance savings.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/