Re: Net80 Connection re-use???

From: Ed Stevens <Ed_Stevens_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 13:08:55 GMT

Yes, different vendors ODBC drivers will behave differently. What I meant by being blind to the RDBMS is that I would think the APPLICATION would probably not alter its behavior based on the RDBMS or the ODBC driver -- if it issues 3 connect requests for an operation, it would do so without regard to the RDBMS. In a sense, the ODBC driver makes the DBMS an abstract, generic entity FROM THE APPLICATION'S VIEWPOINT. Actually, we finally got a good lead late yesterday afternoon. I went back to the ODBC Administrator utility to see if there might be a DSN property I had overlooked. At the main panel was a tab -- "Connection Pooling." DOH! How had I overlooked that before? Turns out that it controls connection pooling properties at the driver level, while I had been focusing on the DSN level. Sure enough, pooling was turned on for the Oracle driver and turned off for the DB2 driver. We turned it on and re-ran our tests. This time the network trace showed connection requests that were consistent with what we saw in LISTENER.LOG when running against Oracle. We didn't see the performance improvement we were looking for, but at least now we have a firm enough grip on things to start narrowing our focus.