Re: Help with Rollback Segment Cannot be Extended workaround.

From: Thomas Jegen <thomas.jegen_at_siemens.ch>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 09:58:48 +0200

It depends what limit you exactly reach. If there is not enough space in the tablespace to extend the rollback segment there is no other choice than to extend the tablespace by enlarging the datafile.

If you reach a limit such as a maximum number of extents reached, the way around would be to create an additional rollback segment (e. g. rbs_big) which can become very large. Before starting your SQL or PL*SQL-Script you have to issue the following command within the session you start the script:

SET TRANSACTION USE ROLLBACK SEGMENT rbs_big;

Of course you have to change rbs_big to the name you have chosen for your rollback segment.

I hope this helps.

Thomas

Anon wrote:

> I have a large script to run that updates data in many rows. I get
> the error that the rollback segment cannot be exteneded.
> Does anyone know how to get around this?
> Is there a way to have the changes comitted automatically so no
> rollback segment is needed?
>
> The easy way would be to make the rollback segments auto-extend to an
> unlimited size. I am at a customers site and making changes to the
> production system is very difficult and I only need it for this one
> operation.
> Oracle seems to be running OK with no problems. I just need to make
> this one-time data conversion and I will be finished. I am curently
> running the script from Sql Plus and the database is Oracle 8.0.5.
>
> Don

Siemens Switzerland Ltd, Softwarehaus, ES41
Thomas Jegen, Software Engineer
Albisriederstrasse 245, CH-8047 Zürich
Phone +41 (0)1 495 3438, Fax  +41 (0)1 406 5340
mailto:thomas.jegen@siemens.ch, Internet: http://www.siemens.ch/