Re: Retrieving Oracle 5.0 data

From: Joe Maloney <mpir_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 18 May 2001 07:17:37 -0700

I originally directly responded because I did not realize we could post here again.

Anyway, to correct what I said nearline.

The most generic setting I can remember is machine type J. It used to work on Zeniths, early Compaqs, Everexes, etc.

The other main thing is that those versions of Oracle required a non-MS extended memory manager. I used to use QEMM386 from Quarterdeck. I am not sure I remember the buzzwords correctly, but MS on handles extended memory but Oracle needs expanded memory. DOS versions prior to 6 (and maybe 5.2) did not manage the correct memory type. (O5 was written for DOS3.2, but I used it through 6.2).

O5 was character based, so the video type is/was irrelevant. The main problems were the BIOS and extra memory management.

Oh, officially, O5 required 1M of memory, preferred 1.5-2M, but would work, with some tuning, at 900K. At least 512K DOS, 512K emmwhatever, prefered 640K DOS, 1M emmwhatever.

Load sequence for the TSR's could also be a factor. (SQLPME is a TSR.)