sql*net tuning question

From: john gallet <john.gallet_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:28:02 GMT

Hi there,

Here is what I am stuck into :

Oracle 8.1.6.0 running on a Solaris 2.7 sparc (big) box. Pro*C binary (I do not have access to the code).

If I use a local connection (ORACLE_SID is set, TWO_TASK is not set), the binary runs in 20 minutes.
If I do the contrary (attacking the very same Oracle instance but through sql*net) it runs in an hour more.

Basically, the single sql request made some 30 000 times in this binary takes 7-9 milliseconds in the "local" configuration, and more 100-110 through Sql-net. Its is the same binary, the same database instance. (of course, this is because some distant connection had this flaw, this is not a real-life configuration, but enabled us to rule out any network equipment problems like some routor or whatever).

Using a sniffer, we noticed that the answer is sent in two separate TCP/IP packets but with an uncomprehensible 100 ms delay.

I can not play with the ARRAY_SIZE parameter in the binary. I am afraid simply trying to send all the data in a single packet is not the answer. The SQL request gets from one to thirty lines, and the problem is the same in all cases.

We contacted the Oracle support in France, played with the TCP.NODELAY in protocol.ora, but to no avail.

Any ideas welcome...

TIA
Yours sincerely,
John Gallet Received on Thu May 17 2001 - 10:28:02 CDT