Re: Snapshot modification problem

From: Stephen Ashmore <sashmore_at_neonramp.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 16:36:52 -0000

We discovered if you use FORCE when you do not have a snapshot log you will get this error in this situation.

Two workarounds. 1) do not use force but use complete

                                2) Try bouncing the instance.

Hope this helps

Stephen C. Ashmore
Brainbench MVP for Oracle Administration

"Christophe Fonfrede" <fonfrede_at_sycomore.fr> wrote in message news:3B029B87.598717AC_at_sycomore.fr...
> Hello again,
>
> Sometimes (hum, let's say "much too often"), when I :
> - drop a snapshot and a snapshot log,
> - then recreate a snapshot log with different filter column, and recreate
 a snapshot (the first complete refresh works well)
> - try to refresh manually : execute dbms_snapshot.refresh('user.snap','f')
>
> I get the error :
> ORA-12018: following error encountered during code generation for
 "user"."snap"
> ORA-00904: invalid column name
> ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SNAPSHOT", line 604
> ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SNAPSHOT", line 661
> ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SNAPSHOT", line 641
> ORA-06512: at line 2
> As the first complete refresh is ok, I don't understand why I can't
 refresh manually with the refresh procedure.

> Well, how can I debug this ? Code generation ?? wow, sounds strange to me.
> Invalid column name ?? this one is even better : my tables do have the
same columns exactly as before the drops, so it references some other dark system tables or views, but nothing should have changed. So which column is annoying me ?

> What about the oracle documentation ? Let's see the description for
 ORA-12018 :
> "Cause: The refresh operations for the indicated snapshot could not be
 regenerated due to errors. See following error text.
> Action: Correct the indicated problem and repeat the operation."
>
> Fine. I just have to correct the problem "invalid column name" ;)
>
> I hope someone here can answer... and thanks a lot. If not, I'll try the
 "call support" answer, but I have some doubts...