Re: Data Migration

From: oradeveloper <oradeveloper_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 20:54:24 -0300

I just completed migrating 7.3 production db's to 8.1.6. I used the Export/Import method. I found it suited my requirements. Ensure you have all prep work in place (i.e. What you plan to bring over...full or partial export, backup plan..etc). I was able to migrate a 500gb db over a weekend (2 days) with only minor errors. Try migrating small development db's for practice.

Cheers
  "nanie" <nanie_at_platinumplans.com> wrote in message news:005c01c0de67$b859bb20$5100c859_at_pppi...   Hi all,

  Our comany is planning to migrate our existing Oracle7 database to Oracle8i. The Oracle8i Migration book suggests 3 ways to migrate data.

  1. Using the Migration Utility -- which would mean taking a 2-step process because Oracle 7.1 is not directly supported under Oracle 8i. This means that I have to upgrade our current 7.1 database to 7.2 or 7.3 or 8.0;
  2. Using the Data Migration Assistant -- which is the same as the first option except that the wizard takes care of everything; and
  3. Using Export/Import -- this methods gives me doubts because the Export/Import utility should be run without errors otherwise you will get messages like "Object already exists . . . "

  To all of Oracle experts out there, can you please make suggestions as to how am I going to this task with the least possible errors.

  Thanks in advance

  Nanie