Re: Oracle and RAID-5

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 16 May 2001 23:00:07 +0100 (BST)

DH <a_at_b.com> wrote:
>I heard that Oracle (7.3 and /or 8.1.6) should not be placed on an NT 4
>server that has been configured with a RAID-5 disk array. Can anyone
>confirm
>this? If it's true, why would that be? Does the version of Oracle matter?

No, it's just that you shouldn't use an NT server. :-)

Without the OS bigotry - RAID-5 gives poor write performance, particularly for database access patterns. Oracle will work on RAID-5, but it's a bad idea from a performance aspect to put any tables, or other objects, that will be frequently written to on a RAID-5 storage array.

If you have a large amount of data that's read-only, or only updated infrequently, then RAID-5 offers a good compromise between resilience, performance and cost.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/