Re: Oracle RDB and Oracle 8i ??

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 May 2001 21:40:09 -0500

On Tue, 15 May 2001, miaustin_at_bellsouth.net wrote:

> I really don't know how you can say Oracle Rdb is on the way
> out... OpenVMS is definately not on it's way out!!! New
> installations up for the second consecutive year. New RDb
> installs are up (an BTW the only segment that made a double
> digit percentage profit last year at Oracle. 5 new stock
> markets brougth on line this past year 3 of them Rdbon OpenVMS,
> none of them Oracle (one Sybase and one DB2 I believe). The
> world's largest internet search engine is
> OpenVMS. (Northernlight.com)

That's pretty impressive.
You got any starting links to Rdb?
How come Rdb isn't widely touted by Oracle? Does it run on windows?
Are there development downloads?

> It has always been said that if you want a REAL system to do
> REAL 24x7x365, run OpenVMS and Rdb and you will sleep much
> better.

I don't know about such a statement. I have heard the same thing about DB2 though. I personally don't have much at stake for any of them. I just want to know how to handle the ones I deal with, (Oracle 8 and 8i, plus SQLServer 7.0 and 2000, which says that I never know enough about any of the products I deal with) and what the one's that I don't deal with have to offer.

> I have. If you really want to run a lean IT staffed shop, for
> heavens sake, stay away from Oracle 7,8,9. It takes 2-3 times
> the staff to support an Oracle Oracle environment compared to
> Rdb. This is a known fact.

I don't know how many people know this, but it may be true.

--
Galen
I don't want to be the rock.  Yeah, okay, what do you want to be?