Re: Oracle RDB and Oracle 8i ??

From: Michael Austin <miaustin_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 19:41:03 -0400

I really don't know how you can say Oracle Rdb is on the way out... OpenVMS is definately not on it's way out!!! New installations up for the second consecutive year. New RDb installs are up (an BTW the only segment that made a double digit percentage profit last year at Oracle. 5 new stock markets brougth on line this past year 3 of them Rdbon OpenVMS, none of them Oracle (one Sybase and one DB2 I believe). The world's largest internet search engine is OpenVMS. (Northernlight.com) I could go on and on, but the fact is that it is comments from individuals (and sales analyst) that perpetuate this kind of nonsense.

It has always been said that if you want a REAL system to do REAL 24x7x365, run OpenVMS and Rdb and you will sleep much better. I have. If you really want to run a lean IT staffed shop, for heavens sake, stay away from Oracle 7,8,9. It takes 2-3 times the staff to support an Oracle Oracle environment compared to Rdb. This is a known fact.

Michael Austin
DBA Consultant

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> Yet, Oracle definitely did beat RDB in terms of marketshare, and RDB is on
> the way out, as is VMS.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> "Michael Austin" <miaustin_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > Oracle Rdb is the former DEC Rdb product that Oracle purchased in 1994
 from
> > Digital Equipment Corp. It's platform is still just OpenVMS and they
 maintain
> > it because of it's robust features that allow it to be extremely stable.
> > OpenVMS and Rdb run 50% of all of the world's stock markets. Why? it
 doesn't
> > break. If you want to know where Oracle 8 got it's horizontal partioning
 of
> > data.. Rdb (circa RdbV3 - 1989-90 timeframe). If you are wondering why
 Cost