Re: clob to varchar2

From: John Russell <johnrussell10_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 09:41:20 GMT

On Mon, 14 May 2001 13:47:27 -0400, "Xiaobin Guan" <xiaguan_at_nhgri.nih.gov> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I have a column, which stores 3000 characters, and it is using CLOB type
>now. How can I change it to varchar2(3000)? What's the advantage and
>disadvantage of using clob vs. varchar2 in this case?

With CLOB you must do the manipulation via procedure calls to the DBMS_LOB package. With VARCHAR2 you can use the variable name directly in calls to LIKE, SUBSTR, || etc. which is simpler. (I believe in 9i the CLOB becomes much more like a VARCHAR2 in terms of allowed operations.)

John

--
Got an Oracle database question?
Try the search engine for the database docs at: