Re: Question on Installing Oracle.

From: Kev.- <java2e_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 21:37:53 GMT

Hello Howard,

>Who cares if it's too small? Autoextend is set to on by default (for
>SYSTEM), and so when it needs more space, you get it. You haven't been daft
>enough to stop it autoextending, have you? SYSTEM must never run out of
>space.

No I am not daft enough to do that. BUt when I query to see the extents it shows that the system and catalog are well over 300 extents. This just seems like alot of extents to me and it is getting worse by the day.

The system has its own tablespace and nothing is sharing it. I do know that TextMedia is being used and massive inserts and deletions are being done on a daily basis. The system has become much slower than when installed about 5 months ago.

>You *do* know about tablespace default storage clauses and how to assign
>tables to any named tablespace, don't you?
Of course.

next, pctincrease, initial etc... Set the tablespace, nologging, nocaching, etc...

Look I am not a complete idiot and again the system tablespace has nothing in it except system.

Also remember that when database are fragmented that you can lose 20+% in performance.

Again thank you very much for you reply.