Re: Online backup: Backup online redologs?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 07:00:21 +1000

"Charles Fisher" <Charles.Fisher_at_alcoa.com> wrote in message news:Pine.GSO.4.31.0105150914480.1016-100000_at_unknown...
> On Sun, 13 May 2001, Howard J. Rogers wrote:
 [Snip]
> However, with such a large userbase and the interaction of so many DBAs in
> the production of the script, your opinion on the merit of hot redolog
> backups is in question. Go and do some research.

It is not my opinion. It is in the doco, the training material, every Oracle book I've ever read, and there is a perfectly rational, well-researched and well-demonstrated explanation for why hot copies of redo logs are not to be taken.

> p.s. You are also wrong in saying "The absolute way of ensuring the
> current redo log is safe to copy is, of course, to shut the
> database down completely: now it's cold, and of course the copy
> results will be consistent." - If the database was brought down
> with a shutdown abort, the active online redolog will NOT be
> consistent.

Once again, you demonstrate your well-honed inability to understand a word I've been saying to you. The issue is what a pickle a dumb operating system and file system makes of copying a hot file. *That's* the inconsistency that I worry about, because it's that inconsistency that prevents the subsequent use of the copy. A redo log, copied with the database down, will be consistent, and I don't care HOW you shut the database down. The copy of that file can be used in a recovery, and all will be well.

And I demo as much every Backup and Recovery course.

End of discussion.

HJR Received on Tue May 15 2001 - 16:00:21 CDT