Re: Bitmap indexes cause slow load

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 11:38:22 GMT

On Tue, 15 May 2001 00:30:02 +0200, "Mario" <mtechera_at_wpmc.com> wrote:

>One of my question still holds:
>What range of values should be used
>for SORT_AREA_SIZE or BITMAP_MERGE_AREA_SIZE?
>Do they help at all when performing INSERTS into the table
>with bitmap indexes?

I may stand corrected, but I know SORT_AREA_SIZE applies to ORDER BY, GROUP BY or CREATE INDEX, none of which have squat to do with INSERT.

And BITMAP_MERGE_AREA_SIZE would apply to merging bitmap indexes in a query, which again got nuthn' to do with INSERT. So at a guess I'll take a punt and say none of those two will help you much.

Any other opinions? Did I forget something?

>INSERT...SELECT from the temporary table to the final
>table). In the tests this is about a factor 10 faster than
>the single inserts but I don't have commit control and this

That would be because instead of doing row-at-a-time insert you'll be doing a set operation. That is much faster. And your row-at-a-time insert coming from SAS will go into the temp table, with no major overhead of bitmap indexes and others. Overall a much better way of doing it than letting SAS dump bits and pieces into your main table.

>will be a problem with the production volumes and the rollback segments.

This you can control by selecting ranges off the temporary table rather than a bulk load of all rows?

>If you are inetrested I will keep you informed.

Yes, please. It's always interesting to see what others are doing to solve large volume problems, regardless of the path used to get there.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Tue May 15 2001 - 06:38:22 CDT