Re: Update a table with no logging?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 21:02:28 +0200

"wayne" <no_at_email.please.com> wrote in message news:9dp8rt$8hu_at_dispatch.concentric.net...
> > We have some report-only tables to which we will need to add rows
> > every month. Is there a way to add rows to a table and not log the
> > added rows? The easiest way for us to recover from a problem would be
> > to just re-load the tables.
>
> Here's one way: Create a new tablespace for these tables and disable
> logging on the tablespace.

As said by Howard Rogers today in this group: nologging applies only to *very specific* types of DML.
Your suggestion is not going to work.
If he is on 8i, he should be able to use the /*+APPEND*/ hint, which will add the data in *direct* mode (so indexes need to be rebuild).

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon May 14 2001 - 14:02:28 CDT