Re: INSERT performance on large table.

From: John Alexander <jalexander_at_summitsoftwaredesign.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:07:19 GMT

The database has no trouble with tables with multi-million records. As long as its properly indexed, performance will be pretty good. Whether or not to stage the 4000 daily records depends on what they are for. Are the recording transactions that occur and are kept as a log of activity? Or are they new orders that need to be processed that night? If the latter, then a staging area is a good idea to avoid slowing down the nightly process by accessing a large table.