Suggest Oracle Books?

From: Jean Farmer <jean_at_kci.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 09:34:17 -0400

In the next two months my company will be getting a couple of Sun boxes running Solaris 8 and Oracle 8i. I need to get up to speed on Oracle and have little to no experience with it. I've been looking on the internet (like Amazon) and there are hundreds and hundreds of books, including dozens of O'Reilly books. I don't know what would be a good purchase to start off with. Eventually we will get some training, but I want to be up to speed ahead of time. Can you suggest any good books?

There are books on PL/SQL and also other versions of SQL, but I'm not sure what the difference between them are to know which ones to buy. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. What are your favorite and most helpful reference books?

One of the ones I was looking at was "Oracle: The Complete Reference" for version 8i by Osborne. I was also looking at "Oracle Sql : The Essential Reference" (Oct 2000) from O'Reilly. But there are several PL/SQL books too, like "Oracle SQL*Plus Pocket Reference" from O'Reilly that seems interesting. I'm a big fan of Pocket References. So does anyone have an opinion on a couple of good starter and/or reference books?

Thanks. Received on Mon May 14 2001 - 08:34:17 CDT