Re: clob to varchar2 (+ I forgot to make some more contribution)

From: Angel Vera <gunfus_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 19:12:28 -0400

Right now, you might saying : "Okay, effiency, Thanks for the help" in a sarcastic way, so I will add some comments to my point.

  1. A CLOB(3000) Column is far more effienct than a Varchar2(3000). It is faster to access and easier to use when it comes to binary code.
  2. A varchar2(3000) will always be a 3000 character cloumn, which indeed it cam bring you a whole bunge of problems. This happends because Oracle will pad the empty space of the field with "_" characters or " " (can't remenber which one" and it makes the column not very reliable whenever you are trying to a comparison or somehting like that.
  3. Becase of the same point (2) it will also make your database BIGGER in size several more important K's when it comes to the server. A CLOB, or better called LOB column's, will not run into this problem because it is always the size of the data.
  4. Becase of same point (3) Then you need more space in your server, which means more money required to store " " or _ character, in toher words RUBISH.
NOTE: One thing to be aware if you are going to use LOB Columns is that Oracle 8.1.6 and early adopters has the limitation that you can't do an INSERT of an object of more than 4000 Bytes. Why..? Don't ask me..

    If I were you I would go for DB2 in this case, DB2 is more efficient handeling LOB's

Hope it helps....