Re: Replication Issues

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 09:50:44 GMT

On Sun, 13 May 2001 22:26:11 +0200, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>First of all: Oracle 7.3.4 has been desupported.

Yeah, but Oracle has to accept that some customers cannot upgrade. And some are worth keeping. Like USAAF? ;-)

>It is possible though replication *from* 8.1.5 *to* 7.3.4 will work.

IIRC, replication in 7 is via rowid, while in 8 it can be specified by keys (or the other way around, there is nevertheless a fundamental difference in operation). I think there is a "compatible" mode of sorts, but the direction of it I wouldn't even dare guess. Rowids are fundamentally different between the two versions.

I've had a recent problem with exactly this 7 to 8 replication and we ended up going flat files for passing data. It was much, much easier. Some PL/SQL code to massage data and a staging area to keep it independent and bingo, we got there with much less pain.

>- running with two desupported versions of Oracle

Yup. Unless there is a fundamental restriction this is really not kosher. 100% agreement.

>- (nothing against you) enthrusting you with this task, as you know nothing
>about Oracle.

Quite correct. IMHE, replication is a can of worms at best of times. Not because of Oracle's implementation, but because of the complex nature of the subject. Requires some very deep knowledge of potential database issues and this could be a problem in this case.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Mon May 14 2001 - 04:50:44 CDT