Re: Urgent - Question on Auditing

From: Joe Kazimierczyk <joseph.kazimierczyk_at_bms.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 12:11:20 -0400

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> Well, my thought is that if you think the i/o is going to be minimal, you've
> got to be kidding -or you have a database with very little select and update
> activity.

The I/O to SYS.AUD$ is typically inserts and updates, with infrequent selects and deletes. With session auditing, and a few 'dba things' audited, and no object auditing, this might average to 5 I/O's per minute, even on a busy system. Anything greater than that, then the application probably needs tuning because it's doing too many login/logouts. I'd call 5/minute minimal, but I realize that it's subjective. Granted that if object auditing is used, it generates many more audit records, but I've never found continuous object auditing too useful.

> And the one tablespace you don't want clogged down with vast
> quantities of extraneous i/o is, naturally, SYSTEM. I recall a database
> whose aud$ table (though it had been moved) used to generate around 80M of
> inserts a day (I don't say the audit options were set very sensibly -just
> that that quantity of information is not out of the question on even a
> moderately busy database).

Ok, that's not minimal! But for 80M/day, I'd guess that too many options were enabled, and that the application needs some attention.

> The audit records weren't cleared very
> regularly, and that tablespace eventually ran out of room. I wouldn't vouch
> for the openability of your entire database if it was SYSTEM itself that
> ever ran out of room.

The availability of a database with auditing enabled is at risk whenever sys.aud$ can't extend, regardless of where it may have been moved to.

> They didn't put screeds of information in the doco and the course notes
> about the critical need for moving that table for no reason.

To what doco and course notes are you referring? The oracle 8i administrator explicity says "You cannot move SYS.AUD$ to another tablespace as a means of controlling the growth and size of the audit trail." Metalink clearly states that moving this table is unsuported. I've never seen anything saying that moving aud$ out of system is a 'critical need', but many folks do it anyway, hence my questions.