Re: max size of datafile

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 23:09:48 +0800

Daniel A. Morgan wrote:

> Paul Drake wrote:

> > > I just built an instance yesterday with quite a number of 6GB tablespaces.
> > > Wasn't the first time. Won't be the last. Solaris 2.8 is perfectly happy as
> > > is Oracle 8.1.7.1.0. But then what else are you going to do with a Sun e450
> > > with 20 x 9GB drives?
> > >
> > > Can't speak to how Windows would handle it.
> > >
> > > Daniel A. Morgan
> >
> > neener neener -
> >
> > I maintain a Proliant 7000 box with 26 drives on 7 I/O channels - and
> > its running ...
> >
> > W2K Server.
> > (4 CPUs, 3.2 GB RAM)
> > Its OFA out the wazoo
> > and I keep all of the datafiles just under 2 GB so that my batch jobs
> > can compress them for on-disk backup.
> >
> > With an 8K block size - the maximum datafile size is 32 GB. Don't do it.
> > Just because you can - doesn't mean that you should. Btw - 7.3.4 on NT4
> > - NTFS - 4K block size - could go to 16 GB.
> >
> > Paul
>
> That's NT. And another reason to go with UNIX where such limitations don't exist.
>
> Daniel A. Morgan

Try but up until only recently, you couldn't get asynch IO above 2G under Sun...No errors of course, just a lot slower..

Similarly, a few Oracle 8.0.x's would let you (auto)extend beyond 2G on a filesystem without large files enabled, and then go belly up with a corruption...

That's why I like 2G...