Re: Replication Issues

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 22:26:11 +0200

"Khurram Izhar" <KhurramI_at_Ducont.Com> wrote in message news:9dmds5$6a63_at_news.emirates.net.ae...
> Hi All,
>
> I am working on an oracle replication project. The replication has to take
> place between Oracle 7.3.4 to any other databaes. I just wanted to confirm
> is there a possibility of replicating from Oracle 7.3.4 to SQL 7.0??
>
> Also if SQL is not possible can we replicate from Oracle 7.3.4 to Oracle
> 8.1.5.0.0?
>
> I have been working on SQL for the past couple of years, oracle is new to
> me.
>
> Waiting for the expert advice.
>
> Thanks
> Khurram

First of all: Oracle 7.3.4 has been desupported. That said, you have all risk of being left out in the dark by Oracle. Secondly, I have a feeling replication *from* 7.3.4 *8.1.5* (which has also been desupported already)
is not going to work, as Oracle is downwards compatible not upwards. It is possible though replication *from* 8.1.5 *to* 7.3.4 will work.

I must question the wisdom of two decisions - running with two desupported versions of Oracle - (nothing against you) enthrusting you with this task, as you know nothing about Oracle.
Looks like possible disaster can be foreseen.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sun May 13 2001 - 15:26:11 CDT