Oracle archive redo log question

From: <angry_garden_salad_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 06:24:48 GMT

HI,
I'm running oracle 8.1.6 on solaris 7. My database does about 30 million inserts a day and if I export all the daily tables the following day, it comes out to be about 2GB compressed. So, I'm puzzled why if I have my archive redo logs enabled ( each redo log is about 2GB in size and I have 3 groups total ) how come I produce about 20 or so archive files everyday, each being about 1GB in size after I compress it? So that makes a total of 20GB of data or so just after 1 day of inserts. I thought maybe the total should be pretty close to my export of all of the daily tables. What the heck is in these archive redo logs anyway? A bunch of overhead junk? I thought the redo log switch did not happen until the redo log filled up. Doesn't say inserting 100M of data into a database produce 100M of redo log information? Or does 100M of inserts produce 1 GB of redo log information. Is there a parameter I have messed up somewhere? I'm not having any database problems, but it looks like I'm just gonna need a lot of tapes. thanks in advance.... Received on Sat May 12 2001 - 01:24:48 CDT