Re: Bitmap indexes cause slow load

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 01:35:27 GMT

On Sat, 12 May 2001 21:01:54 GMT, news_at_abc.co.uk (Peter L) wrote:

>The original message included this paragraph, towards the end, that
>implies several bitmap indexes are involved.
>

>Dropping and recreating the index is not an alternative because
>creating the index takes about 20 minutes and we have about 10 columns
>that need the query performance gains of a bitmap.

Ahhh, much better!. I missed that one. Well then, I'm not surprised it takes so long to bulk load the data. If all those indexes are there to start with. Even with one it would be slow.

Much better to drop/re-create or rebuild. And concentrate on making the create or rebuild a lot faster. Using heavy parallelism would be the first option?

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Sat May 12 2001 - 20:35:27 CDT