Odd behavior when recovering with backup controlfile

From: Jay <jjstrauss_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 21:19:15 -0500

Hi,

I'm testing recovering with a hot backup, and I'm finding something odd.

Environment:
HP-UX v11.0.0.0
DB: 8.1.6.0.0

I want to preface this question with, I want to take my entire backup to another machine to perform recovery, I don't want to rely on having access to the original files. My hot backup goes thru the normal drill:

alter system switch log file

loop <thru all tablespaces>

    alter tablespace begin backup
    os cp of datafiles for tablespace
    alter tablespace end backup

end loop

backup controlfile to '...'
backup controlfile to trace
alter system switch log file

Now I test recovery.
- Shutdown the database

Now the odd behavior:
During the backup I produce exactly 1 archive log (there is no activity on the database) - #467
during recovery it prompts for #467 & #468 (#468 is the current online redo log)
since #468 has not been archive my recover is unsuccessful.

I AM able to recover:
if I use the current controlfile (i.e. not replace it with the backup controlfile)
if I point recover to my online redo log (i.e. at the prompt I specify the file
location "/u03/oradata/sbox/redo03.dbf"
if I use the "backup controlfile to trace" to recreate my controlfile.

I don't understand:
1) Shouldn't the backup controlfile know that the #468 is my current online redo log?
2) How do I use my backup controlfile without having to point to my online redo log (I want to recover on a different machine)? 3) Is this a bug?

Lastly, I have altered my script to perform the last log switch before backing up the controlfile, but I get the same results.

Thank for your help
Jay Received on Fri May 11 2001 - 21:19:15 CDT