Re: Cisco PIX and Sql*Net

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 10:13:07 +0100

We went through this to get
www.schools.audit-commission.gov.uk/schoolfinance online. .

Having put USE_SHARED_SOCKET=TRUE in the registry both the listener and the databases have to be bounced. We just bounced the database server to be honest.

From the PIX side we found that the pix needed to include the following configuration lines initially we only included one of them.

fixup protocol sqlnet <port number>

Differences Our DB server is 8.1.5 but shortly to be upgraded. The OS is NT4. I believe the PIX software is also pretty much up to date.

HTH

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

"Peter Laursen" <pl_at_mail1.remove.this.stofanet.dk> wrote in message
news:WzEK6.2216$h4.587150_at_news101.telia.com... Hi, I am having trouble connecting from a client through a Cisco PIX firewall. Server is 8.1.6 on Win2k, Client is 8.1.6 on Win2k. Listener is standard config with dedicated serverprocess and tcp port 1521. TNSname 8.0 style on the client. When changing ip on the client machine(webserver to be), so sql*net traffic is not routed through the firewall everything is fine - connection is made and applikation is running. Connections from other similar clients on the LAN works fine too. However when changing the ip on the webserver machine back to be outside, so traffic is routed through the PIX, I get an ora-12535 timeout. Port 1521 is open but I suspect the redirect fails - the client never gets to talk with the serverprocess. Ok, I put USE_SHARED_SOCKET = TRUE in the registry as described in metalink note 68652.1. This should eliminate the need for redirecting and the client should be able to talk to the serverprocess with only port 1521 open on the PIX. I still get ora 12535 though. A listener.log at tracelvl 16 shows an error on socket 284. ( I dont recall the exact log, I am at home now). I know that 8.1.7 has an official bug concerning USE_SHARED_SOCKET. Thats why I installed 8.1.6 at this customer. Is the USE_SHARED_SOCKET bug in 8.1.6 too? Any ideas other than trying connection manager? I am not configuring the PIX, another guy is doing that, but he doesnt know Oracle and I dont understand his firewall speak, so there are communications problems at more than one level :-) We really dont know if the problem is in the PIX or in Oracle :-( At Cisco I found this quote:
"To enable secure database access, the Cisco Secure PIX Firewall series
allows Oracle SQL*Net-based client/server applications to communicate through the firewall, both with and without network address translation (NAT). " So the PIX knows about the sql*net protocol, but what does this actually mean? Does this mean that the PIX has an Sql*net proxy? TIA Peter Laursen