Re: Brain Death

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:38:54 GMT

On Thu, 10 May 2001 13:21:49 +0100, "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:

>> 10 to 1 says the code for this app is in DLLs that get loaded from a
>> central file server or even worse, using the same line as the comms to
>> DB. And what the users complain about is not real database activity
>> time but time taken in getting screens to do anything (DLL load time).
>
>Nope thats our other app! Except that the .dlls aren't .dlls at all but
>foxpro forms (don't ask!).

OK I won't! Oh well, sounded awfully familiar. Someone else recommended the use of a sniffer. I've used those with great success before in situations like this. If nothing else to prove conclusively the problem was/was not in the database comms. Maybe that's an avenue?

>The configuration isn't that unreasonable and this is a new problem on an
>18month old site. Thanks for the help though.

That points straight away to "Something has changed. What?". Classic one is a reconfigured printer eating up bandwidth on the same WAN line as the db comms. Or a switched net becoming non-switched. Comms people do these things often without the slightest thought as to the implications.

Good luck. And remember the ORACLE-L rule: when all else fails, pause and have a coffee. The solution will go "blink" soon after. ;-)

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Thu May 10 2001 - 08:38:54 CDT