Re: Basics about oracle administration

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 23:15:56 +0200

On Wed, 09 May 2001 16:52:34 GMT, "Markus Fischer" <mfischer_at_josefine.ben.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Does someone know about a site which gives basic tips about oracle database
>server administration which answers such questions like how to create oracle
>db users, how create multiple db's, how to get a list of actual created
>users for a db, etc.?
>
>So far I managed to install oracle's db which is for download at their
>technet. The assistant created a database for it and searching through the
>installed files I found some *.sql scripts which deal with users creation
>(the famous scott/tiger). But I've now idea where these users are created,
>how I can an overview of them, etc (coming from Mysql where it's quiet easy
>to spot which users has which rights on which database(s))
>
>ty
>- Markus

Oracle comes with, yes, *manuals*. You don't need a site, you need to read those manuals, starting with the Oracle Getting Started manual, The Oracle Concepts Manual and so on.
You will soon learn
a) you can't master oracle by not reading any manual b) you don't have multiple databases in Oracle, you have multiple schemas

Why do MySql and Sqlserver people never read manuals, sigh!

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed May 09 2001 - 16:15:56 CDT