Re: Is there a way ? 8.1.6 export to 8.0.5

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 14:30:56 +1000

"Scott Haas" <sahaas_at_lazerlink.com> wrote in message news:3AFA1149.5C542B4A_at_lazerlink.com...
> We have an Oracle 8.1.6 export (didn't look at what platform export came
> from) and we need it loaded into an Oracle 8.0.5 server (on Alpha
> OpenVMS). According to the Oracle 8i documentation, there is a way to
> export an 8i database into a format that is readable by an 8.0.x
> database, but conveniently didn't explain how to accomplish this little
> feat. Is there a way to do this ?

Yes, you run the version 8.0.5 export application against the 8.1.6 database, and the output is an 8.0.5-compatible dump file, which can then readily be imported into the 8.0 database.

> 1 solution is probably to run the catexp7.sql script and then export the
> database in Oracle 7 format which will then load into the 8.0.x
> database, correct ?

Gawd, why make life difficult for yourself? What's the logic in having version 8 and version 8i databases, and therefore opting to use the version 7 export utility?! Where did version 7 come from??!

Regards
HJR