Re: Locally managed tablespaces and migrated rows

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 09:55:46 GMT

On Tue, 8 May 2001 16:41:45 +0100, "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:

>hover around the 25% mark - maybe i'm just a bad learner). unfortunately i
>took in about another 10-15% that was a) just plain wrong and b) not
>actually anywhere in the course material so probably not in fact said at
>all. I'm not sure how you avoid this sort of error - though Howard and
>others that teach might have suggestions.

ROFL! Good one. I'm exactly the same, welcome to the club.

>This sounds like a good case for uniform size of 16k for a tablespace. Is
>this below a minimum limit? I thought you could specify extent management
>local uniform size 2k if you so desired. Not that I'd recommend that on in
>normal circumstances <g>.

Yeah, I'd think 16K would be the approach. But I'm a bit concerned about using such a small allocation unit for a unifrom LMTS. It would result in a much larger bitmap, which must be kept and managed in memory. Wouldn't that be replacing the overhead of DMTS with another overhead?

>same problems with the schools systems in most places. 18 year olds know so
>much more than 65 year olds after all! It would also help if we all applied
>Jonathons words from the intro to his book on Oracle books generally "within
>a year .... it will be 20% misleading,inappropriate or just plain wrong".

How true. Personally, I think education should have two types of courses.
One for the "features", geared for the "soon to be misleading, inappropriate or etcetc".
The other for teaching things that are timeless: computer architecture, what's an I/O, what's thrashing, what's paging, what's a scheduler, what's an OS, what's logical database design, what's physical database design, how to relate all that to Oracle.

The current crop of courses is remarkably thin in this aspect yet last time I looked, all computer systems available still obeyed these rules...

>Just as an aside does Applications 11i use LMTS everywhere?

Wouldn't have a clue. I think since it's available for 8.0, it wouldn't?

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Wed May 09 2001 - 04:55:46 CDT